[mythtv-users] Verifying HD content with a HD-3000

Joel Turner jturner421 at aol.com
Wed May 17 16:11:23 EDT 2006

ylee at pobox.com wrote:

>John Welch <jrw3319 at gmail.com> says:
>

>>I just went through a similar setup with PVR-150 and HD-3000 tuners
>>cards.  What I found was that if the CALLSIGN field was the same for
>>two channel numbers MythTV considered them the same channel.  So, in
>>this example if both 601 and 6 had the CALLSIGN field set to "FOX"
>>MythTV would use the default tuner.
>>

>Correct. In my setup, for example, channel 21 on my HD5000 capture
>card has the callsign of KTVUDT. Channel 163 on my FireWire-enabled
>cable boxes also has the KTVUDT callsign. MythTV thus treats them as
>synonymous for purposes of "Record on this channel only," and will
>pick one or the other, taking into account the tuner priorities set in
>mythtv-setup, the channel priorities in mythfrontend, and whether
>either tuner is already being used. You'd of course want to make sure
>that the two channels' XMLTVIDs matched, too.
>
>Now, if the XMLTVIDs matched, but the callsigns didn't, MythTV would
>not consider the two channels synonymous even if the exact same
>programming is running on both, and "Record on this channel only"
>would only encompass the channel atually selected at the time the
>recording choice was made. This is important to understand because,
>again to use my setup as an example, 163 on the cable boxes (which I
>set up first) is automatically labeled KTVUDT (I guess by DataDirect),
>but the channel scanning that created 21 labeled it as something like
>KTVU-HD. I had to manually fix this afterward to avoid the
>non-synonymous issue.

I had thought I was doing the same thing by renaming the callsign and
name to FOX-HD which has a sourceid of 2 (HD-3000).  I did a guide
lookup and specifically chose the FOX-HD entry (record on this channel
only) which set it to use tuner 2.  In this instance I would have
thought that channel numbers are irrelevant since I'm not going through
an STB.  Perhaps I need to add the HD channels to zap2it, run
mythfilldatabase and populate the mplexid and serviceid for say channel
784 with the entries I used during the initial QAM scanning process. BTW
the XMLTVIDs do match, but my assumption is that this for guide
population only.