[mythtv-users] [OT] coax vs. composite

Meatwad meatwad.get.the.honeys at gmail.com
Thu May 18 00:46:33 EDT 2006

Steven Adeff wrote:
> On 5/16/06, Meatwad <meatwad.get.the.honeys at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Steven Adeff wrote:
>>
>>> I'm a big fan of monoprice.com they have very well constructed, good
>>> quality cables for rediculously cheap. If you have some more money
>>> check out Blue Jean Cables or if you have even more, bettercables.com,
>>> and listen/look for yourself as to whether the increase in price
>>> brings an increase in performance that your willing to pay for.
>>> Remeber though, insulation is the biggest factor in noise rejection
>>> and gauge the biggest factor in signal loss. Strand design and size
>>> can also make a difference in the upper end of cables, but your
>>> equipment needs to be up to the job of taking advantage.
>> The monoprice stuff certainly is appealing to the pocketbook but you can
>> be assured that these will fall short of your expectations after they
>> begin to loosen and fall of your equipment :) Very poor quality
>> connectors which are the weakest link in any signal chain. The importer
>> will even have the Chinese assembler change the cable manufacturer
>> mid-production run as the copper/oil market jumps and falls and
>> competition gets frantic.
>
> I dunno, I just got 2 HDMI/DVI cables an svideo cable and and optical
> toslink cable, all three of which have very good ceonnectors, I was
> especially surprised at the quality of the toslink cable which is
> ~20ft and of equal quality to an older monster toslink cable I have
> that was much pricier for a 3ft run.

You bring up a good point i missed out on. I had my sights on
traditional audio/video coax interconnects ;)

Today's newer(fangled) terminations are mostly performed entirely by
machine. I prefer s-video to be done by a well trained human but that's
probably splitting hairs when compared with a machine assembled
equivalent. DVI and HDMI are almost exclusively assembled by machine. If
the DVI is serving analog information, consider that a cheapo will be a
likely suspect when the ISF guy starts getting that icky look on his
face. DVI-D/I will be much less demanding of the cable, until you start
going some distance, like 4M or more. Watch out for the capacitance, if
the manufacturer doesn't offer cap/dist curves or the source of the
cabling itself, move along.

HDMI? Doesn't seem to matter if you use cheap, mid-priced, or
PlatinumPlusEnhanced cables, if the manufacturer of one device hasn't
tested your brand new SUX-4000 receiver with your MotoLantic-5000 HD
cable box and your InYO-56KPB projector, odds are very much against you
relaxing on the couch, drinking abeer watching the game come the end of
the day. HDMI handshake incompatibility is nearly epidemic right now. If
customers inist on HDMI functioning, I pull out a contract rider with
very specific HDMI T&C's and warranty. No exceptions.