[mythtv-users] MythTV output to HDMI IN

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Thu May 18 19:22:46 UTC 2006

On 5/18/06, moogie <okcancel at yahoo.com> wrote:
> [...]
> > my nVidia 5200 FX to arrive.
> >
> > From your responses above, the suspect the answers
> > to the following will be "yes" but I want to
> confirm.
> >
> > 1.  The Sony LCD RP has 9 input sources.  When
> > I connect the DVI to the HDMI input, does the
> > physical LCD screen have to be tuned on the HDMI
> > input source?  Or can the LCD be tuned to any
> > other source (like DVD)?  That is, will Sony
> > respond and Xorg be able to capture modeline data?
>

> It shouldn't matter what channel the TV is on, but it
> will need to be
> powered on =D
>

> > 2.  Can Xorg on my Myth box still get the modeline
> > data from the Sony if the LCD is turned off but
> > the Sony unit has power?
>

> That I dunno, but once you have the modeline data you
> don't need to
> get the EDID data anymore, just tell the computer to
> ignore EDID and
> use the modelines you specify.
>

> > FYI, when I hit the OFF button on the Sony remote,
> > it turns off the LCD screen and a few moments later
> > the fan goes off.  The little indicator light on
> > the LCD front panel at the bottom right is green
> > when the LCD is on and red when the LCD is off.
>

> right, some of the electronics stay on, but most is
> powered off. But
> like I said, get the data once and don't worry about
> it from then on
> out.
>

> --
> Steve

> Thanks Steve,
>
> I received the nVidia FX 5200 and the DVI-HDMI cable.
> I have installed the nVidia FX 5200 in a PCI slot.
>
> (To confirm, I have tried a couple of Live Linux CD
> distros on this system and they can use the FX 5200.)
>
> To start MythTV installation on this Dell box, here
> are
> my options (as far as I can tell):
>
> 1.  The Dell PowerEdge SC420 comes with an embedded
> 8Mb
> video port which the motherboard recognizes as
> being "onboard".  I can hook up an old CRT monitor
> to this VGA port (blue color)
> http://img.dell.com/images/global/products/pedge/pedge_sc420_back_314x689.jpg
> and start the MythTV installation.  I can connect
> my Sony KDF60WF655 LCD RP HDTV to the FX 5200 at
> the same time or at the right time after basic
> MythTV installation is over.
>
> 2.  I can disable the "onboard" VGA port on the
> motherboard via the Dell BIOS settings.  I can hook
> up an old CRT monitor to the VGA port on the nVidia
> FX 5200
> http://www.geeks.com/imageshare/P/300x300/PCI-FX5200-128MTV-unit.jpg
> and start the MythTV installation. I can connect
> my Sony LCD RP HDTV to the FX 5200 at the same time
> or at the right time after basic MythTV installation
> is over.
>

> I think option 1 is the way to go because it is
> a separate video port, less confusion, etc.
>

> Q1. What do you think?  Are there any other (better)

disable the onboard video and use the FX5200 with a monitor until
everything else is setup and working, then tackle the video out to the
TV. Or, tackle the tv out thing first then once you know it works, get
mythtv working.

> Q2. How do I actually make MythTV send the video
> signal to the DVI port on the FX 5200 as opposed to
> the VGA (or svideo) port on the FX 5200?  Is this
> also specified via the xorg.conf file?

its in the README available on nvidia's website with the linux
drivers. as well you can search this list on gossamer or look through
the nvnews.net forum. Theres lots of options and mixing and matching
the right ones for your setup will be best.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!