[mythtv-users] Performance problem

Raphael Pooser rpooser at gmail.com
Thu May 18 16:40:45 EDT 2006

Jonas Björklund wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Sun, 14 May 2006, Raphael Pooser wrote:
>

>>> I have a RS482-IL motherbord and a AMD Turion MT-34.
>>> The motherbord has a ATI Radeon Xpress 200 built in.
>>> I have Hauppauge bt848. Samsung Spinpoint 250GB harddisk.
>>>
>>> I have only tried live TV and get performance problem. Every 2 seconds I
>>> get a lag on the picture. :-(
>>>
>>> Is my system to slow? CPU? Capture card? Harddisk?
>>>

>> I would put the problem at none of the above, and move it on to your
>> graphics card.
>> At least when I first installed the drivers for my ATI card, it wasn't
>> even using XV, causing it to eat up 60% of the processor just to watch a
>> 640x480 stream, and with a software encoder taking about 40% to capture
>> it, I was getting pauses exactly like the ones you're getting.  After
>> making sure I had XV working, I got around 5% to watch a stream by
>> itself, and closer to 50% to watch something live or watch and record at
>> the same time.
>> So I would give your graphics card driver a look.  Are you using fglrx?
>> If so, make sure your vendor string for OGL reads ATI and not mesa, or
>> XV won't be working either.
>> I've heard that XV works perfectly when using "ati" in X, but I don't
>> think "ati" supports the xpress 200, not 100% sure.
>> Also, "ati" won't let you use TV out.
>> Raphael
>>

> I have not bought a Nvidia FX 5200 PCI and have the same problem. :-(

You mean you _have_ bought a 5200 right?  Judging from the xorg conf and
log you posted it looks like you are using a 5200 and are getting the
problem described by the OP.  My knowledge of the "nvidia" driver in X
is very limited unfortunately, as I just installed it and it worked
flawlessly.  However, I installed from a debian package, not the nvidia
installer binary.  Maybe you'll have more luck if you just try
installing from your distro's repository.  Unofotunately until I do more
tests with "nvidia" myself my knowledge may be too limited to help.
Raphael