[mythtv-users] OT - FX5200 at Frys today

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Fri May 19 22:07:00 UTC 2006

On May 19, 2006, at 3:07 PM, Decent Guy wrote:

> point 1:
>
> someone said, don't go by the picture, go by the text in the AD.
> *ahem* *ahem* are you sure the text in Fry's ad are always accurate
> to the dot as well? ;)   hehe.  so yeah, Fry's is known to make
> mistakes in their ADs (pictures first, and then many many times
> text as well)
>
> point 2:
>
> i got a pny 6200 (instead of a 5200) and it has a DSUB out, a DVI
> out, dongle for HDTV-output+s-video output+composite, and an
> additional DVI-to-DSUB adaptor.   (that should be enough types of
> outputs to feed anyone's needs).   my cost $45.95+tax in cali - $10
> rebate = around $40 bucks.  i don't want to advertise for the
> vendor i got it from, so i won't list the name, but you can easily
> find it.  i would recommend this card.  it is serving my mythtv
> needs quite well.
>
> thanks for listening.

You say a "dongle for HDTV", what type of connector(s) is(are)
that ?? Is it actually component out ?

I think I have read here on this list that for some purposes (like
chroma-keying) the 5xxx series cards are actually better for Myth
than the 6xxx or 7xxx ones.

I do not know this for certain, as I have used only a 5200, 5500 and
a 5700 for Myth. I use a 6800 on another system but have never tried
it with Myth. I got the 6800 for under $100 from what I suspect is
the same vendor you are speaking of, but I notice they no longer have
them in stock.

In any case, I know a lot of 6200 cards come with no fans, and that
at least some folks have reported very good results with HD using
them, so your recommendation makes sense.