[mythtv-users] OT - FX5200 at Frys today

Decent Guy decentguy2042 at yahoo.com
Sat May 20 00:35:32 UTC 2006

Brain,

By the way, just to clarify so that there is no confusion, I don't know if it can handle HDTV content or not.  PNY calls the included dongle "HDTV-out breakout pod" which basially includes component out.  (I think my usage of the word HDTV stirred the whole confusion in the first place).  This doesn't really mean the chipset can decode HDTV in the hardware.

Judging from this chart (look for the 6200 column),

  http://www.nvidia.com/page/purevideo_support.html

it actually may NOT support hardware decoding for HD content.  SD content does list mpeg2 hardware decoding.   One may have to step up to 6600 for a HD decoder.

Decent Guy <decentguy2042 at yahoo.com> wrote: Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
OK, thanks.

BTW - I think a video card that works with HD, is totally silent and
has component outputs for $50 is very much on-topic for this list.

I hate mentioning vendors or prices also, but both are probably of
interest to most users here, certainly to anyone building a machine.

ok, no problem.  point well taken.  i'll give the details then:
 i got it from here:

 http://www.buy.com/prod/PNY_Verto_GeForce_6200_128MB_DDR_AGP_8x_Graphics_Card_VGA_DVI_S_Video/q/loc/101/201644080.html

 listed for $45.95 on sale (down from $64.99 although $64.99 is of course not truely the "real price" anyway.  typical street price is around ~$50+ on pricegrabber).  it has a $10 rebate.  california ppl pay tax.  free shipping.

 for detailed pics check out:

 http://images.tigerdirect.com/SkuImages/gallery/large/P56-7014-new-b.JPG
 http://images.tigerdirect.com/SkuImages/gallery/large/P56-7014-new-c.JPG
 http://images.tigerdirect.com/SkuImages/gallery/large/P56-7014-new-d.JPG

 ps: i personally don't like buy dot com as in the past i've received horrible service from them once, and no where on their website i was able to find a 800 phone number, and when you do find the 800 number and call it, it goes to an international call center with horrible service.   but this was a decent price for this card, and i took the risk, and it went through okay.