[mythtv-users] Mythweb 0.19-5 On Ubuntu I Can't Get It Working

Josh Burks dotnofoolin at gmail.com
Sun May 21 22:26:54 UTC 2006

On 5/21/06, Steven L Owens <slonocode at abac.com> wrote:
> Ok I spent the better part of yesterday fiddling with this and I can't
> seem to get mythweb working.  It's the same error that others have
> written about where it shows the directory listing and clicking on
> mythweb.php gives database errors.  I'll try to be thorough in
> explaining what I've done and hopefully someone can help me.  I just
> don't know if I would run mythtv without mythweb.
>
> This is ubuntu breezy fresh install using the 0.19 deb packages from
> hunter.ws.  and following hyam's great guide.

My mythweb is working fine, and I used the same packages and howto.

> I added this to my /etc/apache2/apache2.conf
>
> <Directory /var/www/mythweb>
>   Options FollowSymLinks
>   AllowOverride All
> </Directory>

Not needed. Look in /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/000-default, around line 12

> I verified the db variables in /etc/mythtv/mythweb-htaccess.conf.
> I used both the plain password and the funky one that ubuntu uses(like it's hashed or something).
>
>    setenv db_server        "correct_ip_address"
>    setenv db_name          "mythconverg"
>    setenv db_login         "mythtv"
>    setenv db_password      "correct_password"

The password should be whatever you set it as when you added your
mythtv user to mysql, so it's probably 'mythtv'. The hash you describe
is the random password created by the install package (which I think
causes people lots of heartburn in other places, eg:
/etc/init.d/mythtv-backend, etc...).

> I made sure that the user www-data owned the data directory
>
>    chmod -R www-data /var/www/mythweb/data
>    chmod g+rw /var/www/mythweb/data

That's fine, but why not /var/www/mythweb? The webserver probably
needs access to the whole mythweb directory.

> I wasn't sure I understood where I am supposed to run the following command from
>
> cp -r . /var/www/mythweb

Neither am I. What's this for again?

> I'm also not sure if I know how to get mod_env and mod_rewrite enabled.

$ sudo ln -s /etc/apache2/mods-available/rewrite.load
/etc/apache2/mods-enabled/rewrite.load

> I also didn't see another place in /etc/apache2/apache2.conf to change override to all like > I saw in other threads.

sudo gedit /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/000-default, look around line 12

> So can anyone help me get mythweb running?  Please!?

Of all the hacking I had to do getting mythtv working with ubuntu,
mythweb was the part that made me say "WTF?" more than I ever have.

I also changed my auth type from digest to basic (never could get
digest working, probably need to apt-get something, but oh well)

AuthType           Basic
AuthName          "MythTV"
AuthUserFile     /path/not/readable/by/www/.htpasswd
Require            valid-user

Also, I noticed that mythweb was installed under /etc/mythtv/mythweb,
and symlinked to /var/www/mythweb. I removed the link and moved the
folder to where it belonged, and also removed the symlink for
.htaccess (which is linked to /etc/mythtv/mythweb-htaccess.conf), and
copied the file to .htaccess. I'm not sure this was necessary, but
it's one of the things I tried while trying to get it to work.

Good Luck,

Josh