[mythtv-users] OT: large file transfer inturruption/recover

Graham Wood mythtv-users at spam.dragonhold.org
Mon May 22 17:41:15 UTC 2006

On Mon, May 22, 2006 at 01:11:43PM -0400, Dylan Semler wrote:
> Why is it so important to use ssh underneath?  Can I verify that passing -e
> ssh to the rsync command is sufficient to tunnel it through ssh?
The other options are rsyncd and rsh.

rsyncd means running another daemon on the server which is visible to the net (or at least
the machines you want to be able to access it).  This is both a security risk (another
possible attack vector) and unnecessary load on the server *grin*

rsh transmits usernames/passwords in clear text.

--

You can do a "ps -ef" on each end, and check to make sure that the two ends have ssh
processes linked to the rsync ones.  On the server you should see an sshd running as you

On the client you should see an ssh process as a child of the rsync.  You can also check
open ports between the two servers to make sure that the connection is on port 22.

Graham