[mythtv-users] Samba for LiveTV?

stan stanlist at cox.net
Mon May 22 19:57:35 UTC 2006

I tried the suggestions from both Andrew and Robin, but neither worked.

I can click on a recording program thumbnail in MythWeb from my Windows
machine and have the program play via Windows Media Player since the URL
served by MythWeb is set to
file://mythMachineName/mythRecordingsPlace/fileNameOfRecordedFile.  When I
do the same operation from my wife's machine (logged into her machine as
her) this same url take me to a "page not found".

I'm guessing the difference between access by me and by my wife is caused by
smb account and password problems, but I might be wrong.

The samba configuration for me on my MythTV machine is identical to my
Windows machine user ID and password.  When I "map network drive" from
Windows Explorer I immediately get the samba connection without having to
enter my user ID or password.

When I "map network drive" from my wife's Windows machine (logged into her
machine as her), I get a dialog box asking for user ID and password.

I usually use the samba gui configurator to set samba options, and I did set
it to allow guests (I think).  I also tried manually editing the
/etc/samba/smb.conf file to try the suggestion to eliminate the need for a
password.

Is there something else that needs to be done to make samba completely
promiscuous?  I'm assuming the failure to allow access without a user ID and
password is the reason the file:// url isn't working from my wife's machine.