[mythtv-users] playback performance regression: show of hands

Leighton Brough brough at baremetalsoft.com
Tue May 23 00:29:10 UTC 2006

Matt Mossholder wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-05-22 at 09:30 -0500, Allan Wilson wrote:
>
>> On 5/22/06, Brian J. Murrell <brian at interlinx.bc.ca> wrote:
>>

>> Although Brian might have been a little to strong in pointing out that
>> his problems are for sure with Myth I am having problems playing HD
>> content inside of Myth but can play the same content with xine and
>> don't have any problems. I am making sure I have everything setup
>> correctly now but my processor is not maxed out and it does great in
>> xine with the same hardware so it sure does look a little funny on the
>> Myth side. I am definately not complaining though I am happy to get
>> what I can get and I am running some of the latest svn. Just thought I
>> would add what I noticed to this.
>>
>> Allan
>>

> Ditto here. Almost exclusively with HD content, but definitely having
> worse performance under 0.19-fixes svn 9519 and lower than with 0.18.
> Content plays fine in Mplayer or Xine.

I too had the same problem with HD content. Are you using the
'denoise3d' playback filter? I suspect this has changed and is the cause
of the problem.

I installed an antenna amplifier and removed some unecessary splitters
at the same time as the upgrade from 0.18 to 0.19, which gives me
perfect reception, so I could remove this filter. Also, the 'adjust'
filter is automatically applied for DVB now in 0.19, so I could remove
this too (I don't know if leaving it in the config means it's applied
twice or not).

Now I'm just using the kernel deinterlacing filter, and the CPU
consumption is totally reasonable again.

Leighton