[mythtv-users] Help please with Change Inputs on TV Tuner card

stan stanlist at cox.net
Tue May 23 22:17:29 UTC 2006

I was waiting for someone to jump in with the real answer since I'm fairly
new myself, but I'll suggest some stuff to try while you're waiting...

I have a PVR-350 with two inputs running on Fedora FC4.  I have two inputs
to the card, my roof antenna for local channels going into the RF tuner
input and a Dish satellite TV box feeding the cards s-video (I assume
equivalent to your composite input) and mobo analog sound inputs.

I defined the two card inputs as you did.

Mine might be a little different because I also defined two sources on
Zap2It, one for my local channels and one for Dish TV.

I set each input from the card (I called them over-the-air and dish) to the
appropriate feed from Zap2It (I think it was on the input connections screen
that it let me choose one Zap2It thing or the other).  Then I clicked
something that said "download info from listing source" or something like
that.  I think it got the channel and frequency info from Zap2It rather than
scanning.

I don't have an IR blaster yet.  I planned to manually set the channel on my
Dish box to feed the PVR-350 s-video when I wasn't watching over the air TV.

All was well for live TV.  I switched from RF tuner input to s-video input
by selecting a Dish TV channel.

Then I tried to record from a Dish TV channel, and it didn't work.  The
mythbackend log file said something about an error trying to change
channels.

Bottom line is this:  Zap2it must have given me some frequencies for the
Dish TV channels.  I have no idea what those frequencies would mean because
the Dish TV box is an absolute requirement.  Live TV switched properly from
RF to s-video though even though it got the channel changing error.  When
mythbackend gets an error it doesn't record.  It did, though, let me watch
live TV.

The solution for me was to define a dummy IR blaster channel changing script
that did nothing more than echo "The channel changing script is running" and
point to the script in the channel changing script field in input
connections?? (I think that's where it was).  That worked perfectly.  My
dummy echo command even wound up in the mythbackend log.

So, if you don't any other recommendations, you might try somehow defining
channels for your composite input and using a dummy channel change script
rather than the keyboard c command (which I haven't tried).

I'm not sure you'll need frequencies (that you won't be using) defined for
your composite input channels, but you might need the dummy channel changing
script.

--stan