[mythtv-users] Help please with Change Inputs on TV Tuner card

Mercury Morris mercury.morris at gmail.com
Wed May 24 17:13:37 UTC 2006

On 5/24/06, stan <stanlist at cox.net> wrote:

> I'm running 0.19 on Fedora FC4 per Jarod's install instructions.
>
> I never checked the file size when my recording wasn't working, but MythWeb
> displayed a "B" in the file size column for the recordings that didn't
> really record.
>
> As Nick said, it's probably a good idea to check the mythbackend log to
> verify there are errors in channel changing.
>
> Before I tried the dummy IR blaster script, I tried setting channel 300's
> (an s-video dish channel) channel pointer in the MythWeb channel display
> from channel 300 to channel 12 (a simple broadcast channel). That worked
> fine.  I suspect Myth changed the RF tuner to channel 12 but changed the
> input to s-video.  Not wanting to tediously change all my Dish TV channel
> pointers to channel 12, I discovered the dummy IR blaster trick.
>
> Now that I discovered the power I have in the IR blaster script I was
> thinking of having the script play some test-to-speech.  Something like,
> "Hey you.  Change the Dish channel to 300."  Naw. $15 for a real IR blaster
> thing seems more reasonable.
>
> All is working at this time, but MythTV should probably make some changes to
> more clearly accommodate channels that are strictly s-video or composite
> input with no channel frequency.  I could envision someone using Myth to
> record composite from a closed circuit TV system or something.

Stan!  Thanks - I'm so glad you are running 0.19.  There's hope for me yet.

One major difference you have made to your system is to define and use
an IR Blaster channel changing script.  I did not do that, since I didn't have
to do that on the 0.18 system.  Another difference is that you defined a
Zap2it source for your dish.  I did not do that either because for 0.18,
I found that NOT having a Zap2it source was the difference between
having it work or fail.

Looks like there has been a big change to 0.19 in this area.

Thanks for all the information about your system.  I'm quite encouraged
by knowing that you have actually got your 0.19 system working.

I'm preparing to test again, so far adding "-v important,general,record,channel"
to the list of options for mythbackend.  And I can see the results in the log,
at least that step works.  With your working system as a guide, I'll continue
testing and post whatever results could be helpful to others.

Thanks again!

--
MM