[mythtv-users] An idea for mythtv developers (especially Myth Video)

john sturgeon john.sturgeon at gmail.com
Wed May 24 19:02:56 UTC 2006

On 5/24/06, Vijay Gill <vijay.s.gill at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have 259 episodes of The Simpsons (and the collection is growing).
> All in XviD. So I thought having this kind of functionality in MythTV
> would be cool.
>
> Vijay

So here's what I'm thinking.

If you had a DVD with a manifest (in XML) of the files, and their
metadata, you could write a script to mount the dvd (if it's not
mounted), parse the XML file and insert the entries into the
'videometadata'  table.  You could add a menu entry the the 'Optical
Disks' menu to execute the script (ala:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Menu_theme_development_guide),
then jump to MythVideo.

Then you would be able to 'load' the DVD, and have the shows show up
in MythVideo.

If you wanted to avoid the meta-data XML file, you could simply name
the files on the disk intelligently, and have a link to your directory
where your DVD's mount under MythVideo.

--
John Sturgeon <><
http://www.myhdbox.com/