[mythtv-users] Recordings not deleting...

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed May 24 21:50:52 UTC 2006

On 05/24/06 17:41, yan seiner wrote:

>Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>>Start out by using the tool of your choice to review the backend logs to
>>see why the recordings aren't being deleted.
>>
>>>I thought recordings got automagially deleted when the system started
>>>running out of room.... Apparently it ain't so.
>>>
>>It's so--unless you tell it your recordings cannot be autoexpired.  And,
>>on 0.18, you can completely disable autoexpire.  There are a few other
>>settings you can use to "break" autoexpire, but we'll go down that road
>>after getting more info from the logs.
>>
>OK, here's the last bit of the logs.  I don't see anything out of the
>ordinary....  Excep that the rest of the log file has about a gazillion
>messages that it's out of disk space...

Right.  The last error message tells you it can't delete because the
filesystem is full.  The more important error message is the first
failure of the autoexpirer--when the filesystem was not full.

To clear up some space, you could select a couple of files to delete and
use:

cp /dev/null
/data/seiner/mythtv/recordings/1009_20060514230000_20060514233500.nuv

to make the file 0 bytes.  I recommend just selecting a couple of the
show names that it tried to expire--look for "expire" (not case
sensitive) in the log.  That will allow the autoexpirer to delete it
later (it won't if the file doesn't exist) while still freeing space on
your completely full disk.

Mike