[mythtv-users] HD/SD Transcoding setup

john sturgeon john.sturgeon at gmail.com
Fri May 26 14:53:06 UTC 2006

On 5/25/06, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> On 05/25/2006 01:41 AM, Ivan Kowalenko wrote:
> > On May 24, 2006, at 22.04, Greg Mitchell wrote:
> >> How do those of you with firewire cable boxes have your transcoding
> >> set up?
> >>
> >> I'd like to be able to transcode HD differently than SD, but I
> >> can't for
> >> the life of me figure out how to do it, short of constantly switching
> >> settings back and forth.
> >>
> > What about just creating a special user job? Assign the transcode
> > command to something like User Job 4, and then set User Job 4 to
> > execute on every HD recording. True, you'll probably have to set the
> > user job for every recording rule, but it should get the job done.
> >

> At that point, you could just specify the transcoder in the recording
> rule (Autodetect, High/Medium/Low Quality).  However, it assumes that
> your HDTV channels have different callsigns than their SDTV equivalents
> (to allow you to specify a different rule depending on which source was
> used to record).
>
> Mike

I just finished putting together a 'howto' for setting up transcoding
profiles for HD content.  You can check it out here:
http://www.myhdbox.com/mythtips/2006/05/tip-4-transcode-profiles-for-hdtv.php

If you set up the various profiles, you can pick and choose based on
the individual recordings which profile is applied.

--
John Sturgeon <><
http://www.myhdbox.com/