[mythtv-users] Record AC3 from Satellite SPDIF In Help

stan stanlist at cox.net
Fri May 26 18:42:15 UTC 2006

I'm very interested in this too.  I have a PVR-350 which I think has the
same inputs as the PVR-250.

I feed the PVR-350 with two different inputs:  Rooftop antenna and Dish
satellite set top box.

The roof antenna goes to the rf-in on the PVR-350.

The satellite box goes to both the s-video and analog sound inputs on the
PVR-350.  I think the PVR-350 loops the analog signal back to the PVR-350's
audio output which I connect to the mobo analog sound line-in.

The satellite box also has spdif output that I'd like to use instead of it's
analog sound output, but I need to retain the ability of capturing the
analog sound from the RF input.

I don't know what to ask about in terms of mythTV capabilities because I
don't know how the PVR-350 is basically working:

1.  (1A) Does the PVR-350 hardware encode both the audio and video from the
RF signal, or (1B) does it produce a silent mpeg video and output analog
sound to it's analog sound output jacks?

1A.  RF-in  ->  PVR-350 -> audio and video mpeg
1B.  RF-in  ->  PVR-350 -> silent mpeg video -> mythTV
                        -> analog output extracted from RF signal -> PVR-350
analog audio out jacks -> my wires -> mobo line-in -> mythTV

2.  (2A) Does the PVR-350 hardware encode the s-video input mixed with the
analog sound input, or (2B) does it hardware encode only the s-video input
and leave it to mythTV to mutiplex the analog sound from the system sound
system input into the silent mpeg?

2A.  S-video-in + analog audio in -> PVR-350 -> audio and video mpeg
2B.  S-video-in -> PVR-350 -> silent mpeg -> mythTV
     analog audio in -> PVR-350 -> PVR-350 analog audio out jacks -> my
wires -> mobo line-in -> mythTV

I think we need to know how the above stuff is working before we know what's
needed to use spdif rather than analog sound input.

--stan