[mythtv-users] OT: Repurposing DishNet's dish for FTA Ku band DVB

Nedim Cholich nedim.cholich at gmail.com
Sat May 27 03:21:34 UTC 2006

Are there any satellite experts on this list?

This might be a long shot but...

I have two DishNetwork satellite dishes (antennas) that I will not be
needing soon. I was wandering if I can use them in combination with DVB card
(that I would have to buy) to get Free-to-air programming off of (for
example) Intelsat Americas 5 (Ku band) in continental USA? Would I need
different antennas? I have found that DVB system in US is DVD-S, is this
correct? Any recommendation on the receiver card that would work nicely with
MythTV?

To clarify, this has nothing to do with cable, DishNet, DirectTV or free OTA
channels. I already have HD3000 and PVR500 for those. This is mostly about
receiving European channel rebroadcasts for North America. I guess I still
have much to learn about wonderful world of satellites but for now I'm
trying to see what are my options.

Is anyone here doing something similar?