[mythtv-users] Is there any way to get more than 1 input from a satellite tuner?

Chad masterclc at gmail.com
Sat May 27 17:54:50 UTC 2006

On 5/27/06, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> On 05/27/2006 01:59 AM, Chad wrote:
> > I'm in the US, and I'm wondering if there is any way that I'm not
> > thinking of to get more than 1 channel from a satellite or digital
> > cable (set top box) system?
> >
> > My *limited* knowledge of how this works:
> >
> > You have the signal come into the house via a coax cable.  Then, to
> > decrypt the channels you subscribe to, you run that coax into a set
> > top box, and then run a coax (or composite or svideo + RCA audio) from
> > your set top box to your TV.  With a MythTV system, you run the coax,
> > composite or svideo (and RCA audio) into your MythTV box (into
> > something like a PVR-150) and record the output from that box.   So,
> > is that it?
>
> Yep.
>
> >   Does that mean there is no possible way to get 2 channels
> > at the same time from 1 set top box?
>
> Yep (meaning no possible way--unless the STB has dual tuners and dual
> outputs, at which point it's, for all practical purposes, two STB's (but
> in one B)).
>
> >   Assuming I have a PVR-500, can
> > anyone tell me of a setup they have that differs from the above?
> >

> If using cable, the FCC requires the cable company to provide
> unencrypted analog local channels, so you could just plug a cable into
> the PVR-500 tuner and it would work for those and any other unencrypted
> analog channels transmitted over the line (some companies provide most
> channels, others provide only the locals).  If using satellite, you have
> to get two STB's.
>
> Mike

Thanks!  I was hoping I was wrong, but in a way am glad my guess was right ;)

Does anyone have any ideas on how to arrange things when using
multiple STB's?  Assuming my Myth box has 3 PVR-500's in it, I don't
really want to have 4 STB's (including the Myth box) in my living
room.  I can think of 1 option (that is variable) where you put your
other STB's in some closet and have a frontend-only in your living
room to display the recordings on the backend.  But I was kind of
hoping for a 1 computer configuration.  Any pointers on arranging 3+
STB's to not look like a monstrosity of STB's?

Thanks again Mike!

Chad