[mythtv-users] DVB recordings quality problem .. solved!

Kari Salmela kari.salmela at lanwan.fi
Sun May 28 16:36:09 UTC 2006

[responding to myself]

Kari Salmela wrote:
> Lately with new builds (<1 month) I have been experiencing problems with
> recording or watching live tv. It seems like signal would be bad, but I
> have checked and double checked the cables and everything should be okay
> on that side. With set top box the signal is flawless. The system is
> only 1-5% CPU load when recording. I have too little memory for the box
> (512MB) currently but I am not sure whether this is the problem since it

> The errors in mythbackend.log are like this when recording:
>
> 2006-05-27 22:07:44.439 DVBRec(0): PID 0x28c discontinuity detected
> 2006-05-27 22:07:44.440 DVBRec(0): PID 0x240 discontinuity detected
> 2006-05-27 22:07:44.441 DVBRec(0): PID 0x28a discontinuity detected
> 2006-05-27 22:07:44.442 DVBRec(0): PID 0x28d discontinuity detected

I tried different things after googling for possible solutions including

- testing with kaffeine (works ok, so hardware is probably not the one
to blame)
- downgrading to 0.19-fixed branch (better, but not perfect)
- killing all (useless) processes such as smb, apache, snmpd etc.
(better again, but not perfect)

but then breakthrough came when I disabled athcool (
http://packages.debian.org/unstable/misc/athcool )

No drops at all after saying athcool off. Should have believed the
warnings supplied.. I guess capturing and writing stream to disk is so
time-critical job that waking cpu from sleep is taking too much time.

Thanks for your time..

--Kari