[mythtv-users] Backend quits functioning

Gavin Haslett gavin at nodecaf.net
Mon May 29 14:46:34 UTC 2006

Well, I had the same problem myself when I first started running 0.18. I
dealt with it and worked out a little workaround... you can see my blog
entry comments regarding this at the following link;

http://www.nodecaf.net/blog/?postid=12

The key part is the comments at the bottom; it contains a little script
to "kick" the backend back on. I just schedule the script in a cron job
that runs every minute. No problems. Well, sometimes the backend would
die while watching TV, then I'd just wait a minute and try again...
worked well.

Now, I will say for the record that all these problems were lessened
with 0.18.1, and disappeared completely with my upgrade to 0.19. I have
had one instance of a backend death since 0.19, but I think that was
related to a problem I was having with the /var filesystem (lots of
small files overloaded the journal causing it to error with "out of
space" errors with only 70% filesystem space showing in use... turned
out to be Sendmail temp files!)

Hope this helps!

Gavin