[mythtv-users] Myth2Go - Reqeust for help

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Mon May 29 15:26:39 UTC 2006

Stephen Boddy wrote:

>Well the perl'ers will probably start beating me up here, but I'd recommend
>Python. Very easy to learn (less than a day for the basics), OO, clear syntax
>(for readability, understandability etc.), has a nice simple interface to
>MySQL, and has a lot of very well documented modules that will do most things
>you want, included by default at installation. Also comes with a tutorial
>that'll get you productive in very short order. There's also a superb IDE for
>it called Eric (project management, refactoring, debugging, QT GUI building,
>unit testing, syntax highlighting, code browsing and so on.)

I've sort of settled on python but I wanted to get some suggestions - I
have a passing familiarity with it, but it's been a few years since I
worked with it.... Perl and I most emphatically don't get along -
usually I can't get past the first or second line of code without being
completely lost and frustrated....  (Anyone remember APL-1?  Same thing...)

>If you're curious about Python take a look at the mythautoicon stuff I've
>written. It also accesses the DB, so it'll give you an idea.
>http://www.syzygy.eclipse.co.uk/mythalsig.html
>In there I do SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE and DELETE on the mythconverg DB.

Great, I'll look that up.  That's really all I need; some database
examples.  The rest of it is simple.  But for now the sun is up,
(finally) and it's a holiday, so it's time to ride my bike to one of the
local wineries for wine and barbeque.  :-)

--Yan