[mythtv-users] cannot mkdir //.xmltv

Cameron Watt roo.watt at gmail.com
Mon May 29 22:59:45 UTC 2006

> You shouldn't need to run mythfilldatabase from a frontend.  It should
> be run on a backend (as a matter of fact, it should be run /only/ on the
> master backend).
>
> Also, if you're in the US, allowing the master backend to automatically
> run mythfilldatabase is /very much/ the preferred solution (over cron)
> because it allows Myth to do so at whatever time TMS asked you to run
> again.  Therefore, TMS is able to spread out resource usage--which means
> that DataDirect is less likely to fail, which means that we will be able
> to continue to get high-quality listings data for MythTV.
>
> Mike

I have a single combined BE/FE, and thinking about it the setting is
configured from the frontend but run by the backend. Is this correct?

The cron job I use randomises the time mythfilldatabase is called using a
"sleep $(expr $RANDOM \% 14400);", but if it is really the backend that runs
the mythfilldatabase command I will use that method seeing it now works. I
would prefer to be able to configure the mythfilldatabase job from the
settings page as it seems "more proper" :-)

Thinking about it, mythbackend has to run the job or the $HOME variable
wouldn't have an impact on the job's success as I always run mythfrontend
manually after logging in (actually about to fix this up as it is a
dedicated box), ie the $HOME variable is properly set. I simply hadn't
investigated what the issue was, lazy I guess.

PS: Yes, I am an Aussie - but still don't want to hammer our guide source.

Cameron.