[mythtv-users] From ATSC/v4l to DVB on pchdtv, almost there but channel lineup won't import

Joe Votour joevph at yahoo.com
Tue May 30 03:01:18 UTC 2006

--- Brad Templeton <brad+myth at templetons.com> wrote:

> On Mon, May 29, 2006 at 06:29:49PM -0700, Joe Votour
> wrote:
> > It sounds like you're running a fairly recent SVN
> > build.
> >
> > If that is the case, even though you are using a
> > DataDirect lineup, you must scan for channels
> (using
> > the button) before using the button for fetching
> the
> > channel list.
> >
> > There was a commit some time ago that makes things
> > this way, and if you don't go through that, the
> > symptom you see is that all of the channels in
> your
> > DataDirect lineup get selected (on the Zap2It
> > website), but nothing gets imported into MythTV.
> >
> > -- Joe
> >
> Indeed.  One issue with this method is there are
> channels that
> don't import properly from scans.   For example, I
> don't know why
> but scans are not importing any of KQED right now,
> and even if they
> were, it runs two different configs -- in the day it
> runs 4 SDTV
> subchannels 9.2 through 9.5, and in the night it
> runs one HD channel 9.1
> and one SD channel 9.2.   I've tried putting them in
> manually and am getting
> some partial success (though it was an annoyance), I
> will see if I can get
> it fully going.
>
> But thanks, at least I can finally record from at
> least one tuner.  linux
> upgrades are way more painful than they should be,
> and alas Mythtv is one
> of the fun things.   I guess I can get my pvr350
> working by sending that
> machine back to the stable config (I needed to
> upgrade it to compile myth
> as it is the machine I do that on.)
>
> Thanks much for the assist.

The reason in the commit log (and I remember this
well, because I was bitten by this commit myself) was
that it is to prevent channels with marginal (or
non-existant) signal strength from being put into the
lineup.  My guess for this is because I've read on the
list (though have not had problems myself with this)
that MythTV has problems with weaker signals.  (I
wouldn't know how strong the signals I have are, since
I'm using a FusionHDTV 5 Lite, and the kernel outright
lies about the signal strength).

Now that you mention it though, I just noticed that
I'm missing 9.4 (one of the PBS channels) as well,
most likely because of the time of the day that I did
the scan.  This is only a minor annoyance for me at
the moment, but one nonetheless.

-- Joe