[mythtv-users] [Mythtv-users] - Slightly OT - New TV or Plasma in Aust

Chris gchris at bellsouth.net
Tue May 30 12:11:41 UTC 2006

> The loverly wife has given permission for me to buy a new tv. WHO HOOOO!!!
>
> Ok she would love the nice realy thin Plasma for the wall, and I will confess that I am stupid when it comes to these things.
>
> So I have been reading most anything and have managed to confuse myself.
> I am not wanting this thread to turn into "I like this one better", but can people help guy out please.
>
> (also i want to strike while the Iron is hot)
>
> It seems that most Plasma's currently avaliable in Aust are NOT true HD
> true HD is 1080i lines. But the ones available here (at a resonable spend) are not that. (my Spend is 2k MAX 3k)
> most are 852 x 480 (which is less than my CRT TV)
> Some are 1366 x 768 (this seems the most common)
> and others 1024 x 1024.
>
> And then the 106" 1080I Monster @  6k
>
> Now dont get me wrong here. There is stuff to no HD content in Aust. But with Myth in the mix that means I can play dvds at full resolution etc.
>
> So of the Aust users out there, can you recomend any Plasma's that are good value for features.
>
> For the other users can you guy recomend any good site to explain, in plain english, what i need to know?

Chris,

Since you mentioned DVDs I think you ought to be aware that new high
definition DVDs are coming soon in both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD formats.
These new DVDs will be protected by a new form of DRM called HDCP
http://www.digitalconnection.com/FAQ/HDTV_12.asp
that will require your new TV set to be HDCP compatible in order to play
them in full HD resolution.  This is hardware DRM that is not likely to
find its way into Mythtv soon, if ever.
This means that you will need a new DVD player that plugs into a HDCP
compatible TV AND a second HDMI or DVI port on the set to connect
Mythtv!  You will be able to play standard DVDs using Mythtv but new HD
DVDs will require use of the seperate player.

In summary then, your new TV should be HDCP compatible and have two
digital video input ports.

Chris