[mythtv-users] [Mythtv-users] - Slightly OT - New TV or Plasma inAust

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Tue May 30 13:10:21 UTC 2006

> I may be able to help a little as I just bought a 50" plasma. After looking
> around at a lot of options I ended up buying Soniq brand from JB HiFi. The
> thing that sold the deal was 2999 for 50 inches and it's a 1366 x 768, so by
> Australian Standards that's hi-def. BTW in Australia anything over 575i is
> allowed to be advertised as hi-def. I payed the extra $300 for the  4 pixel
> 5 year warranty. Having watches it for a while I've seen better pictures
> (maybe 5% better) but usually at an extra $1000. Inputs are VGA DVI
> component video and s-video also can do PIP, the built in tuner is analogue.

Yeah, I've seen the Soniq models at great prices but I've never heard
of them which is a worry. I bought a SAST DVD player a while back
which had great reviews and supported multiple playback formats - but
it's so obscure therer's no support for it and if you lose/break the
remote you're stuffed, no learning remotes understand its codes etc.
It's put me off these super-value, unknown brands, though. Good to
hear that you're happy with your's - it might make me reconsider. What
are its negative points, would you say?

Regards,
Phill