[mythtv-users] OT: Anyone running an ATI Radeon (9000) with a VGA-SCART adapter (PAL)

Simon Levitt maillists at whattf.com
Tue May 30 14:23:54 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 30 May 2006 04:49, Nick wrote:
> I've been trying to get a VGA-SCART adapter working with my new master
> backend machine - which is using an AGP ATI Radeon 9000 Pro video
> card. As most ATI users know, ATI do not seem to be able to write a
> decent driver to save their lives.

I'm not actually using ATIs drivers at all IIRC - They wouldn't allow me to
spec a TV supported res at all (That was sometime around Sept/Oct last year).

My device is:
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV280 [Radeon 9200
PRO] (rev 01)
according to lspci.

> I decided to build a VGA-SCART cable to try and get around this issue
> by using the VGA output directly, but I get a rolling screen with the
> suggested PAL modeline from http://ryoandr.free.fr/english.html and a
> couple others I've found Googling. I've tested the cable with a
> continuity meter and it all checks out, and the TV supports RGB input.
> I can make out the Fedora logo and username box on the login manager
> screen, and the MFE menu in the correct colours, so the cable seems to
> be OK.

I built my own, from these very instructions (I believe; or some looking very
similar if not).

I spent a lot of time Googling (as you do in these situations), and I came
across the configuration below (after many failed attempts), it isn't
720x576, I found a 16:9 based res. I tweeked it slightly to make the screen
more central (used some X modeline tool of which I can't remember the name).

> If anyone has working PAL modelines for use with an ATI Radeon 9000
> card (or similar) and VGA-SCART lead, please let me know, and also
> what kinds of tweaking I can do to the suggested modeline on the
> ryoandr.free.fr site. A copy of the device and monitor sections from
> xorg.conf file too would be a very useful comparison.
>96
Section "Device"
    Identifier                          "ATIGraphics"
    Driver                              "radeon"
    BusID "PCI:1:0:0"    # vendor=1002, device=5960
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier  "ATIPALTV"
    HorizSync    14.0-65
    VertRefresh 24-230

    #Modeline "960x540" 20.222 960 1048 1120 1288 540 561 570 628 composite
interlace

    Modeline "960x540" 20.22    960 1036 1108 1288    540  561  570  629
interlace composite

EndSection

Like I said that works fine for me, YMMV...
I believe the one commented out is the actual line I found out on the web
somewhere (it may also have been my last working config though before the
last change!).

Hope that helps...

Cheers,

Simon.,