[mythtv-users] mini-itx core-duo frontend for HD content

Gregor guirara at gmail.com
Tue May 30 22:22:22 UTC 2006

On 5/25/06, Daniel Kristjansson <danielk at cuymedia.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 2006-05-25 at 16:06 -0700, Jason Williams wrote:
> > MSI K8NGM2-FID:  I haven't been able to get 1080i to
> > work with the DVI/Component using xv/xvmc.  The system
> > would freeze when xv/xvmc kicks in.  Using the VGA
> > port however, everything works fine.
>
> I think this problem may be fixed in MythTV's SVN head. It has
> some hacks to free XvMC surfaces when XvMC gets stuck. On my PC's
> this is quick enough that you never notice the pause in decoding.
>
> I think the DVI/Component vs. VGA is just a red herring. If the
> hardware takes slightly longer to render on the DVI/Component port
> then this is what triggers the low buffer situation, this can
> still happen on the VGA port, you just have better odds against it.

I read a while back that NVIDIA cards can only use XV video overlay on one
of their output ports in a dual-head situation.

This is pure speculation, but perhaps the new series of NVIDIA cards need
explicit configuration settings to move the overlay away from the default
VGA port to any other port (DVI, COMponent, S-video) even in a single-head
situation.

It might be worth pouring over the docs to see if you can find any related
settings.  A while back the Fedora MythTVology site recommended setting
RenderAccel="on" to enable XV and XVMC, although it doesn't appear to be
needed anymore (at least not on my AGP FX5200 card)

For anyone who is OK with VGA output on a micro-ATX board, I'm going to pull
my FX5200 AGP card and see if I can get MythTV running acceptably in 1080i
or 1600x1200 using the onboard video on my K8M800 based board (I know XvMC
on that chipset's Unichrome Pro is limited to 1024x1024, but hopefully XV
works at any resolution, and is good enough with shared memory to not
glitch)

-Gregor