[mythtv-users] [Mythtv-users] - Slightly OT - New TV or Plasma in Aust

Chris Henderson jchendo at gmail.com
Wed May 31 04:46:21 UTC 2006

> > Plasma or LCD (wife wants the thin one)
>
> They're both thin - no real difference.

Sorry should have mentioned that  she was looking at  RPTV and Slim  CRT as
well but our new house, a slim TV on the wall would work great.

> 42" of  screen size.
> > 1366 x 768 res
>
> You're probably looking at plasma then. 42" LCDs are significantly
> more expensive.

Cool

>             Inputs
> > VGA or DVI, component video and s-video The 1366 x 768 res seems to be
> very
> > popular with the makes. I will have to have a look at this JB HiFi one,
> > sound interesting.
>
> Yeah, 1366x768 is a popular resolution. It'll look best if you can
> feed it a signal at native resolution, if it only takes 1024x768 then
> there will be some horizontal scaling going on.

Using power strip, couldn't i make a modline for the 1366x768
and upscale the res?

You want to make sure than the problem is infact with the output
> quality and not the input/recording quality. How do DVDs look through
> Myth with your current TV? Have you tried your Myth system with a
> monitor? That would give you a better idea of how it will look on a
> plasma or LCD screen.

Yea I have a 17" LCD in the lounge for using xterm etc while changing
things. The Sony CRT, you can make out the writing  if you have too. not
easy  though.

when we moved in, everything was packed (DVD player etc ), in a box
someplace. Dragged out the myth box and plugged in the 17" LCD and the
Difference is chalk and cheese.
Occasionally while testing i leave the LCD running while watching a DVD.
(while setting up xine key presses for example) and you find that you are
watching the LCD from the other side of the room instead of the TV.

My wife saw me doing that and asked "why doesn't a normal movie look like
that? (pointing at the LCD) I said "its the TV it cant display that sort of
quality." you can guess where it when form there if she now wants a new TV.

CH