[mythtv-users] Static noise from AC3 passthrough

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed May 31 05:18:15 UTC 2006

On 05/30/06 21:43, Eric Smith wrote:

>One more dumb question.  What can i set the mixer device to in order
>to have internal volume control in myth when the audio device is set
>to iec958?

You can't have internal volume control in Myth when the audio device is
set to iec958 unless you redefine the card-provided "iec958" virtual
device (using a "!iec958" definition in your ALSA configuration file) to
include the use of the softvol plugin /and/ you disable passthrough.
However, since you have to put a definition in your ALSA configuration
file, anyway, it makes more sense to use a different name instead of
overriding the card-provided virtual device.  And, unfortunately,
disabling passthrough puts you back where you started at the beginning
of the thread...

The "right" approach with digital output is to use the volume controls
on the receiver that's decoding the signal.

BTW, completely backtracking on what I said in my first post to this
thread, you should be able to use "ALSA:digital-hw" with the exact same
results as "ALSA:iec958".  (And I would be forever grateful if you would
confirm this for me.)

Mike