[mythtv-users] Remote MythTV setup/user in Europe. Advice?

Stephen Boddy stephen.boddy at btinternet.com
Wed May 31 18:12:18 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 31 May 2006 08:40, list at onnow.net wrote:
> Excellent plan.  I think that is exactly what I will do.  Server in North
> America, and a remote front end.  If the actual content is rsync'd, it
> should apear normal in use.  I am not too sure about opening MySQL over the
> internet, but that should be fine.  Maybe a hole punched in only for a
> certain IP and port would be safer.

Port forward using an ssh session. Set it up with public keys, then you can
set up a script that will re-init the session if it fails for some reason,
without you needing to log in and kick it off. i.e.

on your slave/frontend:
ssh -L3306:localhost:3306 -i ~/.ssh/id_dsa <masterip>

Then configure the slave/fe to speak to port 3306 on itself. ssh will forward
this to the remote master machine (referred to by localhost in the -L option)
on port 3306.

Normally the master will be behind a NAT firewall/router, so the <masterip>
will actually be the public ip of that device, and you'll have to configure
the firewall to forward inbound ssh (port 22) to the internal master ip.

You can also run ssh over this same secure connection, but I've never done
that, so you'll have to figure that bit out yourself.
--
Steve Boddy