[mythtv-users] Video Cam to AVI, AVI to DVD, AVI playback ??

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Wed Nov 1 05:12:22 UTC 2006

On 31/10/06, Ed Gatzke <ed.gatzke.groups at gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there an easy way to get video out of a camcorder using firewire?  My PC
> software makes AVI files, but I assume myth or linux can do this.  Can they
> do this easily?

If you have a DV camcorder and you want to use Linux, I've seen good
reports of using Kino (as Steve suggests). If you want to use Windows,
I highly recommend Adobe Premiere Elements 2. Whichever route you
choose, I always recommend using a tool that has been written with
your intended purpose in mind.

>  Also, can I burn AVI to DVD?  I have had success with TV recordings, but I
> did not see an option for AVI (or ripped DVDs for that matter).  I assume
> the AVI needs transcoding.

AVI is not a media format per se, it is a container format that can
hold audio and video encoded in various forms. It's possible your
Windows software is creating DV-AVI files directly from your camcorder
without transcoding to another format (if the files are ~15GB/hr this
is likely the case). As long as you have suitable DV and MPEG2 codecs
installed on your machine, you should be able to convert your captured
video and archive it to DVD (this applies to Linux and Windows).

>  Finally, my AVI playback of home video is poor.  Jerky with dropped frames.
>  Much worse than on the PC.  Any ideas?

How fast is your PC that you are playing it on? What format does the
AVI file contain?

Nick

--
MythTV Official wiki: