[mythtv-users] lircd not starting; module not loading

btsglw btsglw at gmail.com
Wed Nov 1 14:12:12 UTC 2006

> On 28/10/06, Owen Mehegan <owen at nerdnetworks.org> wrote:
> > Whenever my Myth box reboots, lircd fails to start up. It reboots so
> > infrequently that I hadn't bothered tracking down the problem until
> > tonight. What seems to be happening is that the lirc_serial module
> > isn't loading, and this prevents lircd from starting as the system
> > comes up.

-- snip

On 28/10/06, Nick <knowledgejunkie at gmail.com> wrote:
> Modprobe lirc_serial and start lircd from rc.local, after turning off
> the lircd service.
>
> Nick

Or, if you're running FC5 upwards (not sure about FC4), you can add a
script called lircd.sh in your /etc/sysconfig/modules folder
containing the text below:

#!/bin/sh
/sbin/modprobe lirc_serial

#end of file

You have to make the file executable, so chmod u+x lircd.sh

I do things this way because I shutdown my mythtv box when its not in
use.  If the PC wakes up to record a show, and l put the modprobe in
rc.local, the lirc service won't start until after mythbackend.  This
in turn causes the initial channel change within mythtv to fail.

Doing things this way means I can set the lirc service to start before
mythbackend without modifying the lirc init script itself or having to
modify rc.local either

HTH

Ver