[mythtv-users] Terrible drive performance on frontend

James Pifer jep at obrien-pifer.com
Wed Nov 1 18:50:04 UTC 2006

> Sorry, this is so bad I am not sure what to suggest. In my department
> we have a 10 year old P2 box that gets a better score on the first
> number:
>
> dns pri # hdparm -tT /dev/hda
>
> /dev/hda:
>  Timing cached reads:   420 MB in  2.00 seconds = 209.51 MB/sec
>  Timing buffered disk reads:   38 MB in  3.03 seconds =  12.55 MB/sec
> dns pri # cat /proc/cpuinfo
> processor       : 0
> vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
> cpu family      : 6
> model           : 5
> model name      : Pentium II (Deschutes)
> stepping        : 2
> cpu MHz         : 350.850
> cache size      : 512 KB
> fdiv_bug        : no
> hlt_bug         : no
> f00f_bug        : no
> coma_bug        : no
> fpu             : yes
> fpu_exception   : yes
> cpuid level     : 2
> wp              : yes
> flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca
> cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr
> bogomips        : 692.22
>

> I know your system is many times faster than that as we do have a lot
> of athlons in our department. My problem with the first hdparm score
> is this has more to do with system performance (cpu / memory) than raw
> disk performance. If your numbers were off by a few percentage points
> I would suggest removing your memory so that you had only 1 dimm
> installed as running multiple double sided dimms on a lot of
> motherboards slows down the memory timings but it can't be this much.
>
> John

Hi. Thanks. I'm not sure what I am going to do. I can't believe that
these drives are that bad, but all four drives are reacting the same
way. So it's either the machine or the drives. My hunch is it is the
drives since I've used this same machine successfully with other
drives.

I guess I'm dreading that I'll probably have to pull the drives and try
them in another machine.

James