[mythtv-users] Using media stored on multiple drives withoutLVM?

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Wed Nov 1 23:56:56 UTC 2006

On 11/1/06, Brett Kosinski <fancypantalons at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Personally, I'd opt for option two (since you'll likely end up with
> > bigger
> > > drives), but either way, it's the best way to go for a robust,
> > scalable
> > > storage solution, IMHO.
> > >

> > How scalable is that really?  How many drives are you stuffing in a
> > case?
>

> That depends on the case. :)  6 drives for a good size case is, I think
> not unreasonable, although heat dissipation (and maybe power?) could become
> a problem.  Of course, if your case hits capacity, you can always buy a
> couple new, big drives (since they just keep getting bigger) and swap out an
> old, small RAID with a new, bigger one.

:)

Yes it does...

Right now I am sitting in my office at work less than 5 feet from a server I
built by attaching two full tower cases together and removing right side
from one case and left from the other (also pulling out the mobo mount).
Anyways I currently have 20 250GB WD SATA drives in it and although I have
two independent power supplies APC tells me that the whole system (Opteron
248 processor + 4GB of REG ECC) draws about 350W (under full cpu load and
minor disk activity) including everything but the monitor . I can say one
thing though with 20 drives the darn thing ways a ton.

John