[mythtv-users] PVR-150 with no sound?!?

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Thu Nov 2 03:38:15 UTC 2006

Michael Tiller wrote:
> I decided to do a major overhaul of my Myth system.  I was running FC4
> and MythTV 0.19-fixes but I decided to start over and install Ubuntu
> Edgy and Myth TV 0.20 (keeping the database and video files though).
>
> I got most of it done in one night but now I'm spending quite a bit of
> time on tracking down frustrating issues.  I've actually been making
> reasonable progress but I'm a bit stuck now and looking for any ideas
> people might have.
>
> My most recent issue was that I have a bttv card and an ivtv card.
> Sometimes the ivtv would be /dev/video0 and other times it would be
> /dev/video1.  I added something to /etc/modprobe.d to try and sort
> that out and it seems to work.  But now I don't have any audio.  I'm
> sure the audio is working because I can hear sounds from the Gnome
> desktop.  But when I run 'mplayer /dev/video0' or try to watch live TV
> from Myth, I don't hear anything.  I have confirmed that the frontend
> can produce sound by watching an old recording so it would appear that
> the issue can be narrowed down to the output from /dev/video0?!?
>
> Under the Audio settings in the front end, I have:
>
> Output device: /dev/dsp
> passthrough device: default
> mixer device: /dev/mixer
>
> I assume these are all irrelevant since "mplayer /dev/video0" has no
> sound either, correct?
>
> I tried Googling on this, but there were a bunch of sound issues with
> the PVR-150 back in IVTV-0.4.0 and I can't find anything relevant
> because of all the hits I get related to those issues.
>
> I tried the alsamixer ( i.e. I unmuted things and turned stuff up...no
> effect).
>
> Here is the output from "ivtvctl --log-status" if that helps (I'm
> doing NTSC capture).

It is one thing to have sound output (this is done by your soundcard,
not the PVR-150).  This appears to be working in your case.

The other is sound in the recording which seems to be missing.  Your
IVTV log says it didn't find any audio so it sounds like a driver
problem to me and you are not getting any audio recorded into the MPEG-2
file.  This is handled by the PVR-150 and pretty much either works or
doesn't.  You should check with the IVTV folks or update/downgrade your
driver.

Kevin