[mythtv-users] Ubuntu Edgy Wiki

Michael Wisniewski wiz561 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 2 14:30:08 UTC 2006

On 11/1/06, David Fishburn <fishburn at ianywhere.com> wrote:

> I am following the instructions at:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MythTV_Edgy_Backend_Frontend
>
> This is my first Myth install so just need a bit of clarification.
>

> ###########
> Start gdm. Choose openbox for your session. The login is very quick,
> almost
> instantaneous. Be sure to login as your normal user, and not the mythtv
> user
> (The mythtv user is only used to run mythbackend).
>       sudo /etc/init.d/gdm restart
>
> Right click the desktop and choose the terminal. Run gdmsetup to configure
> an automatic login for the mythtv user as well as a time delayed login if
> you logout. This will make the bootup a lot more streamlined (especially
> for
> HTPC use)
>       sudo gdmsetup
> ############
>
> In the screen captures of the gdmsetup, the show to set the "Enable
> Automatic Login" to "superm1".
>
> The above says:
> - "The mythtv user is only used to run mythbackend"
> - "Run gdmsetup to configure an automatic login for the mythtv user"
> - "Enable Automatic Login" to "superm1"
>
> So which is it?
> Should we automatically login the mythtv user?
> This machine is being used as both the backend and the frontend.
>
> TIA

I tried gdmsetup in the past and couldn't get it to work.  An interesting
thing with Linux that I find is that there's more than one way to skin a
cat.  What I did was edit my /etc/inittab file and placed this at the bottom
of the file.

---
# for mythtv autostarting
myth:2:respawn:/bin/su - mythtv -c "/usr/bin/startx"
---

Basically, it says to login as mythtv upon boot and run the startx command.
Now if you do this, it will startx but not myth.  In order for you to start
myth, create a file called /home/<user>/.xinitrc   . For me, it is
"/home/mythtv/.xinitrc".  In this file, I have...

---
/usr/bin/ratpoison&
 # xterm
/usr/bin/xset s off && /usr/bin/nvidia-settings --load-config-only &&
/usr/local/bin/mythfrontend -l /var/log/mythtv/mythfrontend.log
---

The above will run ratpoison, which is my windows manager.  Then, the xset
does something where it disables the screen blanking, nvidia-settings loads
my nvidia config file (for overscans), and mythfrontend loads mythfrontend.

I hope this helps.  Good Luck!

--
View my blog!
http://wiz561.blogspot.com/