[mythtv-users] OT : Help! -- BUG: soft lockup detected on CPU#0!

Paul Fine pfine at comcast.net
Thu Nov 2 14:52:49 UTC 2006

Mark Paulus wrote:

> Paul Fine wrote:
>> Robin Hill wrote:

>>> I'd guess this is your problem, and also why you're unlikely to get
>>> much
>>> help.  You've got a binary blob coded for a different operating system
>>> stuck in the middle of your system.  Have you tried the open-source
>>> WLAN
>>> drivers?  I used to have a Netgear card which worked perfectly well
>>> with
>>> those.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>         Robin

I pulled the Netgear Card out and the computer ran for a reasonable
amount of time with crashing.  Unfortunately, I have not found a
suitable open source driver for my WG311v3 WLAN card.

Last night I uninstalled the ndisdriver package and rebuilt it from the
latest stable source.  I reinstalled the Windows "blob" and let it run.
By morning, the system had not crashed.

One possible explanation I saw on the ndiswrapper lists is that some of
the Windows drivers demand a larger stack than the default 4K stack in
my kernel.  It recommends rebuilding the kernel with the 16K stack
option enabled.  I am not sure this is the problem because my system did
not crash where the ndiswrapper warning said it would if I had a stack
problem.

Right now, I think that the stack issue is a big red flag waving in my face.

Thanks again, Robin, for pointing me towards the ndiswrapper.

--Paul

> Another question:  When did you enable the SATA controller in the BIOS?
> Was it enabled all the time, or did you enable it when you installed
> the Hard Drive?  Also, what happens if you leave the SATA drive out,
> and you disable the SATA controller in the BIOS?  Do you still get the
> crashes/lockups?
>
> I was using a SIL3112 SATA controller with a 2.6.8 kernel and was
> running into wierdnesses.  I upgraded to a 2.6.16 kernel, and the
> SIL3112 is happy, and my box is happy.
> (Something else to look at and confuse all).

I never enabled the SATA controller in BIOS.  As far as I can tell, it
has always been enabled, but never had anything to control until last
weekend.  The first thing I tried after things started acting badly was
to disconnect the SATA drive, which did not seems to effect anything.  I
did not disable the controller in the BIOS, though.

If it turns out that the ndiswrapper is not the issue, I will go down
the SATA path next.