[mythtv-users] EPG over DVB-S problems

Matthias Thyroff lists at thyroff.net
Thu Nov 2 16:28:40 UTC 2006

Ingo Kofler schrieb:
> Hi all,
>
> I am using myth 0.20 on my fedora core 5 box. I use DVB-S (Astra 19.2 E)
> and want to import the EPG from the DVB signal. However, there is a
> strange behaviour of myth. I only get the EPG data for some channels
> like Sat 1, MTV, VIVA (german channels). However, for the vast majority
> of the other channels the EPG import does not work. My first idea was
> that the EPG is not transmitted for the rest of the channels, e.g. for
> RTL Television.
>
> Then i tried to get the EPG for these channels data with kaffeine and
> .... it worked. Then I tried to figure out the transponders which are
> used for each channel and try to find a correlation between the
> frequency etc. and the fact if EPG is working or not. And then I found
> something interesting: in myth the EPG was only imported for those
> channels which have a transponder with vertical polarisation. All other
> channels (that do have a EPG in kaffeine and not in myth) have a
> vertical polirisation.
>
> So is this a bug? A misconfiguration?
>
> Please help,
> Ingo

Hi Ingo,

EPG works for me on Astra and myth 0.20.

What you could check is, in mythweb, the sender information page. There
might be some channels (the "mainstream" ones you mention above") which
have a xmltv tag, i.e. the epg data is collected by the xmltv script
(with tv_grab_de_tvtoday probably in your case).

Then, on the right side there are three columns where you can set a
checkmark, one of them is something like "use eit data", which has to be
set for all channels that are not covered by the tv_grab_de_tvtoday script.

Sorry if the description is not exactly correct, I cannot access my
mythweb page right now, so I discribe from memory. But I think you will
see what I refer to.

I recommend that setup like I describe it: Use xmltv for the stations
covered by xmltv and epg for the others.

Good luck

	Matthias