[mythtv-users] EPG over DVB-S problems

Ingo Kofler kofler_i at gmx.net
Thu Nov 2 16:40:56 UTC 2006

Matthias Thyroff schrieb:
> Ingo Kofler schrieb:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I am using myth 0.20 on my fedora core 5 box. I use DVB-S (Astra 19.2 E)
>> and want to import the EPG from the DVB signal. However, there is a
>> strange behaviour of myth. I only get the EPG data for some channels
>> like Sat 1, MTV, VIVA (german channels). However, for the vast majority
>> of the other channels the EPG import does not work. My first idea was
>> that the EPG is not transmitted for the rest of the channels, e.g. for
>> RTL Television.
>>
>> Then i tried to get the EPG for these channels data with kaffeine and
>> .... it worked. Then I tried to figure out the transponders which are
>> used for each channel and try to find a correlation between the
>> frequency etc. and the fact if EPG is working or not. And then I found
>> something interesting: in myth the EPG was only imported for those
>> channels which have a transponder with vertical polarisation. All other
>> channels (that do have a EPG in kaffeine and not in myth) have a
>> vertical polirisation.
>>
>> So is this a bug? A misconfiguration?
>>
>> Please help,
>> Ingo
>>

> Hi Ingo,
>
> EPG works for me on Astra and myth 0.20.
>
> What you could check is, in mythweb, the sender information page. There
> might be some channels (the "mainstream" ones you mention above") which
> have a xmltv tag, i.e. the epg data is collected by the xmltv script
> (with tv_grab_de_tvtoday probably in your case).
>
> Then, on the right side there are three columns where you can set a
> checkmark, one of them is something like "use eit data", which has to be
> set for all channels that are not covered by the tv_grab_de_tvtoday script.
>
> Sorry if the description is not exactly correct, I cannot access my
> mythweb page right now, so I discribe from memory. But I think you will
> see what I refer to.
>
> I recommend that setup like I describe it: Use xmltv for the stations
> covered by xmltv and epg for the others.
>
> Good luck
>
> 	Matthias

Hi Matthias,

my mythbox is offline, so I cannot use the xmltv grabber and must rely
on what's broadcasted over Astra. As far as i know (i currently cannot
access my mythbox) I have enabled the EIT for all channels, but i will
check it on the weekend when i have more time.

by the way, do you know how often the EPG is updated via DVB-S in case
of mythtv?

Regards