[mythtv-users] Accessing MythWeb through firewall

Michael Wisniewski wiz561 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 2 20:59:55 UTC 2006

On 11/2/06, Scott Alfter <mythtv at salfter.dyndns.org> wrote:

> Phill Edwards wrote:
> >> Why don't you go ahead and open port 80 and turn on Authentication in
> Apache?
> >
> > Good question - because my ISP blocks port 80 incoming requests which
> > is a bit of a bummer.
>
> Odds are they don't block port 443.  As a bonus, you get a secure
> connection...even authentication (which you should also use) is secured,
> IIRC,
> which is good.  My Mythbox is connected through a router to a residential
> cable-modem account, and port 443 works fine (the router forwards inbound
> traffic on that port to the Mythbox).

Another suggestion...at least something I do.  I tunnel port 80 traffic over
SSH.  This way, I only need to allow tcp/22 into the box, and I can login
from anywhere.  To do this, on the server, setup openssh and get it
running.  Then, on your client, just use...

sudo ssh -L 80:localhost:80 <username>@<ip or dns name>

You need sudo because you are tunneling port 80 on your local machine.   You
can open up your web browser, type in "localhost" and it will redirect it to
your myth box.

Hope this makes sense!