[mythtv-users] linutop as a mythfrontend

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Nov 2 21:13:43 UTC 2006

On Nov 2, 2006, at 1:43 PM, Kevin Hulse wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 02, 2006 at 01:30:15PM -0700, Brian Wood wrote:
>>
>> On Nov 2, 2006, at 1:11 PM, Matt Rude wrote:
>>
>>> I don?t know if I would call $300.00 USD cheap.  You can build a
>>> nice VIA-M system for that.
>>
>> For less than that you can get a used Dell Inspiron 7500, and that
>> includes a 15" LCD display, a hard drive, PCMCIA slots and pretty
>> decent video hardware.
>
> 	How is that machine on size, noise and heat?

Well it's pretty much a bruiser of a portable. It was the last of the
"boxy" design Inspirons. It has a small fan that's pretty quiet. It
does get warm on the bottom, if I were to consider running one
continuously I'd put it on one of those laptop cooler pads. I think
it weighs 7 or 8 pounds. The CPU is a PIII 600 Mhz.

I've seen them at the local surplus computer store for $275, I'll bet
they'd take $250 though, especially if you picked it up and they
didn't have to pack it up.