[mythtv-users] Comcast HD & firewire

Asher freedenizen at gmail.com
Thu Nov 2 22:22:42 UTC 2006

On 11/2/06, Mark Lehrer <mark at knm.org> wrote:

> I have had Myth working reasonably well with High Definition over the
> air, so I am thinking about trying Comcast and their firewire
> interface.
>
> Could someone who is already doing this answer a few questions:
>
> 1) Which hi def receiver do I want?  They said I am going to get a
>    Motorola DCT 6400 - will that do the firewire?

Hmm, they gave me a DCT6200, has firewire, works ok

> 2) How well does MythTV work with the cable content?  For example, I
> heard that the standard definition channels used 12GB per hour - 50%
> more than OTA hi def.  I am definitely going to want to watch the hi
> def Discovery, ESPN, and HBO channels.

Well only certain channels are passed over firewire, for me in San
Francisco it is most of the basic cable channels (under ch 82), and
the HD channels that are available over the air.  Definitely not HBO
or HBOHD, ESPNHD, DiscoveryHD, etc.  They turn on the 5C flag on most
the channels so that they are not passed over the firewire port.