[mythtv-users] Question about TS==>PS & mythtranscode

Mark Paulus mark.paulus at verizonbusiness.com
Fri Nov 3 14:39:25 UTC 2006

I have (2) mythtv 0.20 BE on my network, and a Hauppauge MVPMC using a
myth-able dongle from http://www.mvpmc.org.  In one of my BE, I have an
air2pc ATSC OTA card, and I can capture 4 different SD channels in my
area.  But it seems to be set up to capture as a TS right now.

My problem is that right now the MVPMC will display the Video out of the
TS stream, but not the Audio.  I have asked on the MVPMC list, and so
far, not much response, so I was looking for alternatives.  One thing I
have been exploring / investigating is a process to extract the PS from
the TS captured by the Air2pc card.  (Did that PS/TS option really get
removed from Mythtv 0.20, or did it get moved somewhere where I can't
find it, anyway???)

Which is where this question comes in.

I have used mythtranscode to do a lossless mpeg==>mpeg transcode
(mythtranscode -i input.mpg --mpeg2 --showprogress -e ps)

However, when I play it on my mvpmc, the sound is out of sync with the
video by about a second or 2.

I can get a good mpg file by using ffmpeg
(ffmpeg -i input.mpg -target ntsc-svcd input-svcd.mpg

However this is pretty resource intensive and takes lots of time.

My question is, is there a better/cleaner way to do the TS==>PS
transcoding/extracting, but making sure that the audio and video stay in
sync?

Thanks.