[mythtv-users] Comcast HD & firewire

Preston Crow pc-mythtv06c at crowcastle.net
Fri Nov 3 18:03:13 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-11-03 at 12:39 -0500, Jerry Rubinow wrote:
> On 11/3/06, Dylan Semler <dylan.semler at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I've been wondering about why there are no tuner cards with DVI or HDMI
> > inputs for this reason.

> Because taking the raw, uncoded HD video streams and converting them to mpeg
> in real time is too CPU intensive, and dealing with raw unencoded HD video
> without compressing it first is too bandwidth intensive.

Just curious; what is the data rate for DVI at 1080i or 720p (whichever
is greater)?  Does it really exceed disk bandwidth?  And if so, by what
factor?

And while compressing to a regular video format is too CPU intensive,
what about some very trivial compression?  You could still get
significant space savings.

I would be happy to set aside 50GB/hour for raw HD with offline
transcoding if it meant getting all the HD cable channels.

Of course, the real problem is the encryption.