[mythtv-users] About to build/buy quiet MicroAtx case using AMD Sempron -- Opinions?

Mark R. Cervarich mythtv at shelfspace.com
Fri Nov 3 22:42:32 UTC 2006

Hi.  A few weeks ago I asked a question about a Lix Systems barebones
machine.  http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/231463

At the time I thought I was going to build a front-end only, but now
am thinking about building a new frontend/backend system.  Either way,
I'm looking to make it as QUIET as possible.

NOTE: I am not running HD, nor do I plan to in the next year or two.
Also, my currently library of recordings is about 160gb on a 190gb
drive.

Here's the HARDWARE I'm thinking about buying: (view at once)
 	https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/Wishlist/PublicWishDetail.asp?WishListNumber=4283246&WishListTitle=Quiet+and+Small+Mythtv
I'll list each item below, in case this wishlist disappears in the
future.  You are welcome mr/mrs archive searcher of the future!  :)

------
  case
------
Antec NSK2400 ($80 after rebate)
 	http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16811129014B
APEX DM-318($45)
 	http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16811154062
nMEDIAPC HTPC 280BA ($120)
 	http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16811204016

OR the LX8100 HTPC Case from Lix ($209):
http://www.linuxtechtoys.com/ltt/product_info.php/cPath/24_25/products_id/129

-----
  CPU, Mobo, & Memory
-----
ASUS M2NPV-VM AMD Motherboard $85
 	http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16813131014
AMD Sempron 64 2800+ $50
 	http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16819104301

WINTEC AMPO 512MB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 533 $48
 	http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16820161636
(This brand OK?  Should I get two of them and have 1gb of ram)

------
Drives
------
Hitachi 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s   $185
 	http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16822147007
SONY Slim Combo Drive CRX850E       $43
 	http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16827131022

--------
TV Tuner
--------
Hauppauge WINTV-PVR $70
 	http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16815116629

So.   With what I'm looking at, will this system still be quiet?
Or will I need to start adding Zallman coolers.   I suppose, if it
won't be that quiet, I could make a very simple front-end, and a
slightly beefier backend.

Thanks for any advice/opinions
mark

ps -- The reason I'm trying to list out every item so explicitly,
stems from the frustration of looking at the archives.  I've found
quite a few posting that list a part here or there, but not too many
that are this complete.  Again, I'm hoping that my research and other
people's inputs will help myself, and other lurkers.

I've also tried to search the PVR Hardware Database
http://pvrhw.goldfish.org/tiki-pvrhwdb.php but a lot of time the cases
aren't listed, and I find it hard to get current prices/stats on parts
listed.  But that's just my beef.  Anyone have better suggestions to
search existing hardware builds?