[mythtv-users] VMWare and MythTV

Darren Wessely dwessely at wessely.ca
Sat Nov 4 18:21:52 UTC 2006

Charles H. Chapman wrote:
>> I agree the earlier comment that you just shouldn't try it.  I am in
>> AU with gyprock walls as thin as paper, and a fairly decent wireless
>> range otherwise, but mythTV over wifi does suck.
>>
>> All you guys that have success, are you running pure MPEG2 recordings
>> over the WiFi as that is what I have.
>>

> Yep, plain old MPEG2 (what the PVR-250 spits out) and I did not have to
> decrease the bit rate or quality of the capture.  Like I said, most
> applications can tolerate latentcy due to TCP retries but video transmission
> can't.  Drop the wireless bit rate to the point where retransmissions are
> never needed and you should be all set.
>
> Chuck

I have had good luck running a mythfrontend on a VM.  I have done a
basic install on Fedora FC5 and then followed the Howto at www.wilsonet.com.

My mythfrontend works great for a while and then stops loading, or it
loads real slow.

Does anyone have any ideas what up with the app just refusing to load?

I have had the same issues on different hardware.  It looks like
something happens to the VM but everything else on the VM still seems to
work normally.  This is the second VM I have built that has done the
same thing.  It's odd.

Thanks