[mythtv-users] Myth vs. Sage vs. Beyond

Ed Gatzke ed.gatzke.groups at gmail.com
Sat Nov 4 19:56:01 UTC 2006

On 11/4/06, Kevin Kuphal <kuphal at dls.net> wrote:

> Ed Gatzke wrote:
> >
> > Fighting the low-quality drivers on my PVR-500 with the "new and
> > improved??" Samsung tuners has made me consider trying a SageTV or
> > BeyondTv build (since the windows drivers apparently work now).
> > Questions about things I would have to support for the wife:

Your problems have nothing to do with Myth and everything to do with the
> hardware support for your cards in Linux.  Take it up with ivtv.
>
> Kevin

Bad drivers for the hardware means a crappy experience for the users.

I am not complaining about Myth, I love the flexibility and power.

My main problem is with the idiots at Haupppage that release a significantly
different card under the same model number.  If it is not software
compatable, it should be a new product.

But I do have complaints about myth.  It is a pain to setup.  I bet the
commerical products hold your hand.  Even knoppix took me a few nights
working to get a usable box.  The install/setup could be significantly
improved, even on knoppmyth.

I just thought maybe someone that has run both MythTV and Sage/beyond could
compare /contrast the two, and I saw at least one useful post so far.