[mythtv-users] frontend only doesnt work

Andrew Lyon andrew.lyon at gmail.com
Sat Nov 4 23:50:32 UTC 2006

On 11/4/06, John Drescher <drescherjm at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11/4/06, Andrew Lyon <andrew.lyon at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On my gentoo laptop I have emerged mythtv 0.20 11647 (using a overlay
> > from integralblue.com)  with frontendonly flag, I run the frontend
> > with QT or OpenGL painter and I get no display at all, just a load of
> > errors in the xterm:
> >
> > QMYSQL3: Unable to connect
> > Database error was:
> > Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
> > '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2)
> >

> It looks that you have not told the frontend where to find your database and
> it is trying to connect to the local machine.
>
> I believe you need to set this in /etc/mythtv/my.cnf  and possibly
> ~/.mythtv/mysql.txt
>
> John

Thanks, that worked, the documentation at
http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-10.html states:

"When you start mythfrontend for the first time, it will attempt to
connect to a configuration database on the local machine. If there is
none, a "Database Configuration" screen will appear, and you will need
to fill in some details. The "Host name" field needs the backend or
database server's IP address or DNS name, and the User or password
fields may need to be set to match your database user accounts. After
editing those fields, press Enter twice to write these configurations
on your local machine, and attempt to connect to the database. If you
make any mistakes, the screens will pop up again."

I guess thats wrong or for some reason it didnt work in my case, it
doesnt matter as I now have myth on my laptop and im happy :).

Andy