[mythtv-users] no audio on an hd3000 fc6 myth 0.20 system

Carlos Puchol cpg at users.sourceforge.net
Sun Nov 5 00:54:04 UTC 2006

thanks brad and brian:

Brad Fuller <bradallenfuller at yahoo.com> wrote:
> >> all we can hear (with the volume to the max) is some barely
> >> audible crackling and popping noise that seems to go along
> >> with the video.
> >>
> >> thanks for your pointers/ideas in advance.
> >>
> > just for completion, do you have ALSA: default:in the audio setup?
>
> sorry: that should be:
>
> ALSA: default

hi brad,

yes, we put "ALSA:default" today, per a post with a
nearly 100% identical problem description to ours
in the pchdtv forum:

http://pchdtv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1415&highlight=sound

where the solution you mention did help there.

however, we're still seeing the same issue (no audio; just faint
craclke/poping).

this post was from april, prior to fedora core 6 as well as mythtv
0.20, which is what we have, so maybe things have changed a bit.

howver, the feeling is that this is related, because that made
the cracle and pop go away, to complete silence.

in that menu, aside from /dev/dsp, it also offered something like
this for the mixer:

	ALSA:iec958:{ AES0 0x02}

note that i am not in front of the machine.

does capitalization/spacing matter?

i.e. is "ALSA: Default" different
than "ALSA: default" and "ALSA:Default"?

what's this namespace in

	ALSA:<X>

??

i am not familiar to what can go in <X>.

one side note, which could potentially be related, is that
in the soundcard recorgnition under FC6 there are two pcm
devices, an analog and a digital for the nvidia chipset we have.
the analog is selected by default, the other, when selected,
does not render any audio.

however, the more puzzling thing here is that all worked
(somewhat briefly - for a few minutes)
at my place _before_ we moved the machine to his place.

we're considering uninstalling the myth rpms, cleaning
the database and starting over to see if the configuration works
as the first time we did.

bian said:

> Also, remember that the HD-3000 does not embed the audio into the
> MPEG stream like a PVR does. You have to handle it yourself.
> I meant it does not encode mpeg if used for analog, obviously
> if you;re using it for ATSC/QAM the audio is already there.

yes, atsc. we're picking up the channels off the air.
we do know that the hdtv we have connected this to receives
them well (i.e. audio works just fine).

we're trying to test the output off the card in isolation
(no myth involvement) with dvb tools, such as what is
suggested here:

http://pchdtv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=688&highlight=alsa+hd3000+audio

however, this is not working as smoothly as we would have
thought. there is azap, czap, szap and tzap. they have
slightly different formats for their channels.conf file
(which is inconvenient and confusing). then there is the jargon,
which we're catching up to...

thanks much for your suggestions!!

-c