[mythtv-users] Onboard sound is getting confused with capture card (pchdtv)

Bob Rakosky brakosky at gmail.com
Sun Nov 5 15:24:25 UTC 2006

On 11/4/06, mythtv at lrlart.com <mythtv at lrlart.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm battling by fc5 installation trying to get the onboard sound card to
> load in the same order on each reboot. My motherboard is a k8ngm2-fid
> with onboard audio. I also have a pchdtv-5500 card that shows up as a
> sound device:
>
> [root at lrlart mythtv]# cat /proc/asound/cards
> 0 [CX8801 ]: CX88x - Conexant CX8801
> Conexant CX8801 at 0xfc000000
> 1 [NVidia ]: HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia
> HDA NVidia at 0xf7fd0000 irq 217
>

> Sometimes on reboot the order switches and the NVidia is card 0 and the
> pchdtv card is card 1. The alsa drivers appear to always attach to card
> 0, so when the system boots up in the order above sound does not work
> (but the reverse order does).
>
> My modprobe.conf is:
>
> alias eth0 forcedeth
> alias scsi_hostadapter sata_nv
> alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
> install snd-hda-intel /sbin/modprobe --first-time --ignore-install
> snd-hda-intel && { /sbin/modprobe snd-pcm-oss; /bin/true; }
> remove snd-hda-intel { /usr/sbin/alsactl store 0 >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ;
> }; /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-hda-intel
> # nvidia kernel module
> alias char-major-195 nvidia-1_0-8774
> alias nvidia nvidia-1_0-8774
>

> I've tried other variations on the modprobe.conf, but with no luck. How
> do I can I force the nvidia onboard sound to load as card 0? Thanks for
> any help!
>
> Mike

What worked for me was the following  line in the modprobe.conf (or
equivalent) file:

options cx88_alsa index=2

This forced the audio device for the hd5500 to use "/dev/dsp2", which left
/dev/dsp available when my "real" sound card initialized, regardless of
discovery order.

Hope this helps...

 -- Bob